PRAYER & FASTING
“From the tribe of Issachar, there were 200 leaders of the tribe with their relatives. All these men understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take.” 1 Chronicles 12:32
In 1 Chronicles 12 the bible presents us with a great time of change that was slowly developing in the land of Israel. Saul was on the throne but everyone wanted David to be king and because of the recognised presence of God over David’s life there was great movement in the land.
Groups of fighting men and warriors from different tribes began defecting to David’s camp and the writer of Chronicles goes into great length to describe the skills that were being placed at David’s disposal.
There were warriors from Gad and we are told “The weakest among them could take on a hundred regular troops, and the strongest could take on a thousand!” This skilled fighter came in thousands to David’s side until we were introduced to a tribe who only made 200 people available. The writer tells us “From the tribe of Issachar, there were 200 leaders of the tribe with their relatives. All these men understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take.” 1 Chronicles 12:32
The truth is you can have all the tools and men but if you do not have the wisdom to deploy your resources effectively you could find yourself beaten and bruised from lack of wisdom. The sons of Issachar had leaders who understood the signs of the time and knew the best course of action to take.
Today as we wait on God and pray, we are going to be asking God to guide us during this season in church history, our nation’s history, the world around us and our own personal history. We need wisdom to understand the times and know what is the right course of action to take.
When you pray… Matthew 6:5
In this session we want to acknowledge the fact that Jesus assumed that because we are in relationship with him we would take time to talk to him so He states ‘when you pray’. The men of Issachar were most likely praying men. So let us start our prayer and fasting day
- Praising and engaging with Jesus like always or afresh
- Thanking Jesus for the privilege of his presences
- Asking Jesus to guide us through his plans for our day
All these men understood the signs of the times – 1 Chronicles 12:32
In this session we want to acknowledge the fact that Jesus is the alpha and omega. Our world and lives do not catch him by surprise because he knows and out of our relationship with him he doesn’t want to keep us in the dark. Also Jesus does not want our lives riddled with fear. So let us pray…
- That our national leaders will be given a spirit of understanding
- That church leaders will be given a spirit of wisdom
- That business leaders will be given a spirit of righteousness
and knew the best course for Israel to take.” 1 Chronicles 12:32
In this session we want to recognise God’s activity on earth and how that has an impact on lives. God told Abraham what he was doing in Sodom and Abraham was able to intercede for the people. So let us pray
- For a bold movement of faith in the body of Christ nationally
- Breakdown of the divisive spirit in our nation and for a time of unity
- Courageous leaders to emerge in church, government and business
4. ELIM WORTHING
For they are transplanted to the LORD’s own house. They flourish in the courts of our God. Psalm 92:13
In this session we want to pray for God’s good grace over our church community. We want to play an active role in what God is doing and will do in our wider community and make ourselves available to God. We want everyone associated with elimworthing to flourish and as others join us for them to experience God’s rich grace in their lives. Let us pray
- That we would be a community that lives under the reign of God our father
- That the glue that holds us together as a community will be Jesus
- That all we do in our lives will be fueled by the Holy Spirit’s power
- That our community both together and separate will spread the fragrance of Jesus Christ wherever we go
- That we would be a fruitful community and barrenness will have no place in our lives
7pm – 8pm
Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. Matthew 16:18
Worship and prayer time and reflecting on the day and hearing what God wants to say to us and praying for Jesus the church builder to speak to us and help us be partakers in His building work.